Are you eligible for free school meals? Do you know the benefits for your child and the school through registering for free school meals?


The Government is giving money to schools to help children from lower income families do their very best. This funding is called a ‘Pupil Premium’.


For every child registered Wyvern College gets £900 this year.


This money could enable us to fund additional resources. If you are registered for Free School Meals you could also get help with costs to support your child’s education and achievement. For example, the pupil premium can help fund the cost of school trips, extracurricular activities and books.


Please register to make sure your child and others in their class and the school don’t miss out. No one will know you have registered and it will not affect any other benefits you are claiming.


Please consider the following:


  1. Check if you qualify. It is not just if you are unemployed, so please look at the check list and refer to the website for more information on free school meals in Hampshire schools. 
  2. Registering is really quick and easy. If you think you qualify, you can register on line or contact Sue Sharp on 02380 692679 X261 who will help you to register.
  3. Your child will be entitled to a free, healthy meal at lunchtime (saving you more than £350 a year) and extra benefits. The school will also get an additional £900 to support your child and others to enjoy and achieve.
  4. You can decide not to take advantage of the free school meal, as long as you qualify and have registered, the school will receive the £900 additional funding.

Please do not hesitate to talk to us further if you have any concerns or questions.


Do you qualify?


You can register your child for Free School Meals if you get any of these benefits:


  • Income Support
  • Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit, provided they are not entitled to Working Tax Credit and have an annual income (as assessed by HM Revenue & Customs) that does not exceed £16,190
  • Working Tax Credit ‘run-on’ – the payment someone may receive for a further four weeks after they stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit

Pupils can also register for Free School Meals if they get any of these benefits themselves. Come and talk to us if you’re not sure.


Contact Wyvern

Wyvern College
Botley Road
Fair Oak
SO50 7AN


Tel: 023 80692679

Fax: 023 80603215



Reception Opening Hours: 8:15am to 4:00pm


Follow us on: